Welcome, come right in!

Blueball Mountain Spindle & Needleworks, the Yarn and Fiber Shop in Historic Downtown Elizabethtown KY, has become the focus of the activities of All One Farms. The Farm, itself is still where the Sheep are raised, Gardens are kept and large dyeing and processing takes place. We continue to live simply, still seek to be self sustaining and remain conscious of our role in the universe. Every day is an adventure and it doesn't always take me where I plan. Come journey with me and share my experiences as I continue evolving my dream. Email me at luna.headhearthands@gmail.com.

Monday, July 18, 2011

La Vida del La Fiberistas

Some months are just special, you know.  July is probably high on my list of favorite months. I love the warmth of July.  The air is sweet with the scent of flowers (exnay on the pollen count, for now), the spring frenzy is past and its time to just enjoy La Vida de La Fiberistas (Life of the FiberWorker).  Visit with Special Friends like the Friendship Spinners.  The monthly meeting was July9th.  Being surrounded by Creative Energy has got to rub off.  I feel energized by the sheer convergence of the multiple fiber talents.




And the things I learn!  Did you know the first computer was was designed to keep track of weaving patterns?  I don't know the name of this ....er....contraption, but it is beautiful and much more understandable than computer code.


I bought this beautiful black Lincoln/Shetland X fleece from Tori K at the meeting.  Whenever she brings her fleeces, one or two always follow me home.  You can see the slight curlyness of the Lincoln with the super fine Shetland, and the glossiness of both. The little bits of hay will fall right out.


Into the dye pot it went the next day.



Ooooo it turned into this glossy blue/black.  this will go straight into the carder to keep some of the curl.




Then I decided that it was time to dye another fleece that I had waiting in the barn. An unknown breed but likely a BFL from the picture I was shown.  


It turned into this beautiful blue cloud when run through the picker.  Can't wait to do something with it.  I think I will dye the rest of the fleece different colors and then mix them up....oooo fun!




A few days later I had a visit from fellow Fiberista Stephanie of LunaBudKnits.  I have been out of her fabulous hand dyed Lace and Sock Yarns and it was time to restock.  Nothing like the personal service. It was fun hanging out and talking Fiber Shows and Fiber Business.  Her shop in Nicolasville will be opening soon.





I picked her loveliest colorways.  Do I have to share? Oh ok, you can see them and pick up a few at the shop.




Some wonderful new goodies are coming into the shop all the time and I will write about them soon.   I've been delayed on getting the July newsletter out, having too much fun playing as I hope you all are able to. I'll get to the newsletter.  In the meantime, these days should be treasured.  Soon enough , it will be cold and gray. 

Winter has its virtues too, but for now, lets enjoy the slow, dreamy days of summer. When magic happens, and a beautiful young couple comes into the shop unexpectedly, after hours, to have their wedding pictures taken in the shop window:



and play with the yarn

and  gaze into each other eyes, dreaming of their enchanted life together:




I think I made the right choice in coming here.  Despite the hardships and difficulties in the world, it can be a beautiful life.  Treasure the moments that you are given with friends and strangers alike.


Happy July!















8 comments:

  1. Awe! I love the couple who had their wedding photos done at your shop! How very special is that!?! Absolutely adorable and wish them all the best!

    Thank you for the shout out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were absolutely the cutest thing. So happy and playful. I never got their names but many happy wishes to them!

    Any time, amiga!

    ReplyDelete
  3. okay so like the next time you are picking wool clouds, or just playing with a fleece from the beginning...call me! I can watch and sweep the floor or something ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Luna in her artistic glory! I love you so much! ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Luna,
    Thanks for stopping by! Blinkin is doing just fine ... Russ just loves him, and makes sure every night he gets his face and ears scratched. You know those places he can't reach!
    He has adjusted very well to being in with a flock of "white sheep". Come fall he will have his own pasture and ewes (3).
    The Shetland X wool looks AMAZING! Which makes me think ... I've got to shear Becky my B.L. If I get around to it ... I'll send you up some ...
    Have a wonder week.
    Oh ... And yes I love the feel of any type,kind, of wool!
    Teri♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. This Happy July picture feels like the ultimate image of, "home", to me.
    I love it!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails