Welcome, come right in!

Blueball Mountain Spindle & Needleworks, the Yarn and Fiber Shop in Historic Downtown Elizabethtown KY, has become the focus of the activities of All One Farms. The Farm, itself is still where the Sheep are raised, Gardens are kept and large dyeing and processing takes place. We continue to live simply, still seek to be self sustaining and remain conscious of our role in the universe. Every day is an adventure and it doesn't always take me where I plan. Come journey with me and share my experiences as I continue evolving my dream. Email me at luna.headhearthands@gmail.com.

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Harvest Stew

Since a few of the girls from Frannie's Gathering have asked about the Harvest Stew we served, I decided to post it here. I remember finding it somehow through the forum but it is actually posted on CountryHome.com along with a few other yummy sounding recipes from MJ.

I have to admit again that I had very little to do with the actual COOKING of the stew other than finding it and handing it over to my sweet Alan who did all the prep (as well as a lot of help with clean up before and after , gardening, and heavy lifting in prep for the girl's visit. He also was my gentle assistant during the demos.).

Let me say here that I thoroughly enjoyed hosting this little piece of the gathering. It was a joy to my heart to meet such a wonderful group of lovely hearted, talented and just plain FUN LOVING gals. And to the Cleanup Fairies who stormed my kitchen, please don't tell anyone about my dust in the corners! You know who ya are!

Here's the stew:


HARVEST STEW


Add and subtract to this wholesome soup by using what's available—it's the MaryJane way.

4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 cup sliced leeks
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp. olive oil
14 cups 1-inch pieces harvest vegetables and fruits, such as peeled sweet potatoes, Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled butternut squash, peeled beets, Granny Smith apples, and/or peeled parsnips
8 cups chicken broth
1 cup pitted green olives, chopped
2 Tbsp. finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
1 Tbsp. ground cumin
2 tsp. sweet paprika
1 tsp. ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground cardamom
3 strips orange peel, white pith removed
2 bay leaves
1/2 cup snipped fresh Italian parsley
1/2 cup snipped fresh mint
1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
1/2 cup chopped pistachio nuts, toasted

In a large kettle, cook chicken, onion, leeks and garlic in hot oil until brown. Stir in harvest vegetables and fruits, broth, olives, ginger, cumin, paprika, pepper, salt, cardamom, peel, and bay leaves. Bring stew to boiling. Boil, uncovered, 5 minutes. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40 to 50 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove and discard bay leaves. Stir in parsley, mint, almonds, and pistachio nuts just before serving. Makes 10 to 12 servings.

1 comment:

  1. Heya Luna :)

    I LOVE this stuff from miz Mary Jane. I enjoyed it very much when Alan cooked it up for us for Frannie's get together....I so enjoyed your little sheep farm; a little piece of 'farmgirl heaven on earth'.

    I made some of this stew on Sunday...I altered the recipie a bit tho with what I had on hand (mostly the spices). The beets really "make" this soup sparkle visually and for the tastebuds!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails